Saturday, August 28, 2010

Barbara Hennig: San Giorgio Maggiore Floats in the Morning Mist

San Giorgio Maggiore Floats in the Morning Mist, photograph, 17 x 21 inches
  • BA & MA in Art History with a concentration in studio art as well.
  • I’ve enjoyed working in many artistic arenas such as museums, galleries and education institutions using my artistic skills in both fine and commercial art ventures.
  • Resident Ceramic Artist at Kirkland Art Center since 2006.
  • Docent at the Seattle Art Museum and the Bellevue Art Museum for many years.
I’ve always loved the camera as an artistic medium. In more recent years, it has become, in many ways my sketchbook. However, in this case the final product is the photo. I cannot imagine another art form giving this image as much justice. I took this photo in a mist so common to Venice, Italy. To me, the idea of architecture is one of something solid, weighty and lasting. This, of course, is represented well in the classical structure of San Giorgio Maggiore. What delights me about this image is the contrast between this massive building and how it floats on the water. The ephemeral quality of that comparison relates well with the narrative of much of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment